Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Green Eggs and Bacon for Dinner

Last night was one of those nights were I needed a nap before cooking dinner, just totally exhausted. When I woke up later then I had hoped, I was forced to create dinner from found objects in the fridge.

Since we always have bacon, I started there. I know what you are thinking. She seemed so health conscious, so holistic and wise. Bacon? Really? Well, when I was little my Nana loved giving me bacon and I loved my Nana so I will always feel happy eating bacon. Everything in moderation.

So with my bacon, naturally I thought of eggs. Now, with two protein sources picked I surveyed the veggie scene. This is what I found: Broccoli, parsley, kale, chives, baby spinach, carrots, celery, jicama, radishes, tomatoes, and cucumber. Clearly I could not use it all so here is what I made:

Green Scrambled Eggs
Finely chop the tops of the broccoli off so you are left with just the little buds
Finely chop chives, parsley and baby spinach
Saute all together in a little butter until soft
Turn pan to medium low
Crack in eggs and scramble into veggies
I like my eggs cooked for about six minutes.
Add a few finely chopped chunks of white cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

I served mine with a side of bacon and multigrain toast.

I was honestly surprised at how tasty they were. I think the key was making sure the veggies were chopped very fine so that they incorporated into the eggs smoothly. The kid devoured them which is always rewarding. They looked pretty, were quick to prepare and made for a somewhat nutritionally sound meal.
Thus, they got promoted to blog status.

No comments:

Post a Comment