Friday, November 18, 2011

For the love of Pho

If it is possible for mammals to occasionally be cold blooded then I am going to go out on a limb and say I am one of those anomalies. I have heard that some moles have trouble maintaining proper body temps. All I know is I need a terrarium and a heat lamp. But since human terrariums are hard to come by, I will settle for Pho. For those of you virgin to the pho scene, consult Wikipedia.

So when I am cold or feeling gross (which is Nov-March) I love me some pho.
This week I was really in the mood but not feeling like sitting in a restaurant (okay didn't feel like taking off pajamas) so I embarked on a homemade pho alternative. I didn't want to cook broth for hours/days like it should be. I just wanted a quick version to satisfy the craving. Ladies and gentleman I give you quick and easy Faux Pho.

In a larger pot, heat up a box of Pacific Brand Pho Starter Beef
(If you know a better one, use it. I like this one)
Cook Rice Noodles in separate pot. Rinse and set aside.
Stir fry onions and some sort of beef. I used frozen sliced ribeye from Costco and it was perfect.
Throw meat in broth or leave it in a bowl like a topping.
Prepare more toppings how you'd like.
I used chopped cilantro, raw sliced onions, limes, sriracha, and hoisin. The red peppers in the pic are for munching.
Assemble on table and let your kid fill their bowl of broth however they like.
My experience has always been: If they build it, they will eat it.




No comments:

Post a Comment