Monday, October 17, 2011

Trick or Treat? Sounds like I lose either way.

After an extended hiatus I am back to the blogging.
Summer was a whirlwind of activity and the first month of school was a blur. All of the sudden, I realized I was getting bombarded with Halloween costumes and Thanksgiving invites. Welcome to fall.
With my daughter in kindergarten this year I have taken on the role of room parent for her class and now find myself staring down the barrel of a halloween party. Cupcakes and cookies smeared high with icing, cups of brightly colored drinks, and piles of candy: this is not going to work for me.
But, I'd hate to start of the first party of the year as "mommy killjoy" as my friends (with no kids) have nicknamed me. Thus begins the inspiration.....

How do you appease the frothing mouthes of the five year olds while avoiding the brightly colored faux food of the past?

1. Witches Broomsticks: Insert a pretzel rod into a piece of cheddar cheese. You can use precut cubes or cut thick slices off a large block. Simple and clean, courtesy of my mom.

2. Gingersnap cookies and Pumpkin Dip: Okay there is sugar in here but no artificial colors and pumpkin has nutritional value.
Pumpkin Dip
(Vitamin A, Fiber, Vitamin C, Iron and minimal sugar)
1 package of cream cheese, softened
1 can of pumpkin
Fall spices to taste (nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, etc)
Maple syrup to taste
Mix together until creamy.
If you aren't going to bake your own cookies I really like Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snap.

3. Greek yogurt and Apple Slices: As is, delicious. Or you could get fancy and stir a little bit or honey and cinnamon into the yogurt to bring in the fall flavors.

4. Blood Red Hibiscus Tea: Kids love bright colors? No problem. Steep dried hibiscus flowers into a fabulous berry flavored brew. Delicious hot or cold. Amazing with fresh oranges floating on top. Add honey if it seems too tart.

So there you have it. A small reprieve from the horrors of the Halloween Sugarfest.




No comments:

Post a Comment